Background

Thursday, December 12, 2013

It was a BIG one.....

What kind of big one?... well... the biggest test Mikayla has had to date....

As part of Mikayla's first communion this school year, she was required to take an oral test on the first workbook that we've completed.  She had to know the answers to 19 questions, some of them had 1 part answers others had 10 parts to know to answer the question.  To say she's been stressed out is an understatement.

She quite literally cried every day about this test for the past two weeks.  I'm not sure if she was more worried about who was going to administer it or the test itself.  So Saturday morning as we walked out the door, she had huge alligator tears streaming down her face. 

I've been strong and encouraging this entire time (well I'd like to believe I was) lots of hugs and preparation going on at my house!

She practiced a lot, she answered a lot, she memorized a lot... she was ready - but she didn't have the confidence that she was ready.

It felt a bit like I was leading her to the lions den......

So we get to the school, wait for our turn and then go to the testing room.  The tester let me stay in the room with her which gave Mikayla a ton of comfort but I tell you as she started her test, the lady doing the testing was so encouraging to her and positive and full of smiles, I could see Mikayla's confidence getting stronger and stronger...and as she got stronger, I got weaker....

She started doing the prayers, I started crying.
The lady asked if she knew any of the 10 commandments and Mikayla said yes, I know them all, and she said them - I cried a little more. 
The lady asked if Mikayla knew any of the seven roots of sin, she said yes - I know them all and she said them....I cried a little more.

I sat in my corner with my hair in my face hiding it, just crying.... it was quite ridiculous!!

Then the lady said, "you know what... you've passed with flying colors, you've done the course work, I believe in my heart you know this material, I'm very proud of you"

wait...what??  all that fussing before and that's it...and now I'm the one crying - such a "mom" moment.

I thanked the lady and had tears all over the place and hugged her for being so kind to my little girl and I'm pretty sure the lady was surprised at our reactions LOL - she probably made a note in Mikayla's file "mother is a basket case"

WOW..... that was a big one...a  big test, a big moment, a big relief and we walk away stronger but yet my heart still feels tender thinking of it - even writing this I have tears.... my heart flows over.  It's amazing this motherhood thing.... just amazing!

Here's our gal with her passing slip :)

So as we leave, she was skipping and be-bopping all over the place and I had my head hung and tears...total role reversal from the way we walked in.

Just for the record, she has completely recovered.... me.... I'm not so sure!  Good thing the next one isn't for awhile.

No comments: