I was very concerned about how to tell Mikayla, this is her first experience with death, that she can remember any way, sadly not the first in her young life, so I really dreaded telling her. She loves gram so much, speaks of her often. They were terrific playmates!! When we told her what happened, I saw every emotion play on her little face as what I was saying sunk in. It was devastating as a parent to know that I was going to break her heart :( after she started calming down a little bit I asked her if she'd like to go make something to give to gram. She said yes so even though it was past her bed time, we went right up to get to work.
Mikayla made her a cross, decorated with buttons and hearts, she wrote her a note in glittery blue ink, and decided she wanted to make her a bracelet. Mikayla picked out all of the beads and ribbon and set right to work. Well she then decided that she needed to make one for herself to match Grandma.... then she wanted me to match too.... so 16 bracelets later, all of the female members (and two male members) of our immediate family have matching bracelets... Here is my precious turning her grief into something productive and tangible for all of us to remember.... at the very least - to remember the love of a little girl for her Grandma.


This was also the very first time she purchased something from Hobby Lobby with her own money, we ran out of the ribbon she was using, so she took money from her jar and went to one of our favorite stores and she picked it out and paid for it. I didn't take a picture (shocking huh) of the event, but I did keep the receipt..... ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment