So we go a little bit nutty over school science fair. I just think it is so fun and I'm SOOO happy Mikayla is into it too! so it is OUR project!!!
the question.... can seeds germinate and sprout on an ordinary household sponge. She "planted" and grew 4 different kinds of seeds on sponges to see if they would grow.
The answer is YES!! Yes they will all sprout. Now without additional nutrients they won't support full living plants but they totally sprout....
as with anything - presentation is the key.... we couldn't just show a plain ol sponge....right..... NOPE! it was shown as a house!
Something else interesting... the wheat grass seeds above...that are sprouting....were planted the same day as the seeds below......
so THAT is where science comes into play.... how to get from above to below.... without dirt... :)
Such cute little houses.....
Now for the best part...the board to showcase all the work involved. It was a true labor of love...daily spraying and watering and tracking (I had to baby sit while Mikayla was at camp)
Ta Da...... a month + of work.... the board assembly was really easy - we made the center pot out of poster board and covered with "wood" paper - it is held on with Velcro so that the greenery and label wouldn't stick out the top when it was all folded up - it needed to be removeable.
My teacher friend at school took this picture for me.
Oh.....what's that I see hanging on there...... hum....LOOKS LIKE A MEDAL TO ME!!!!!!
Oh Yea baby!! Mikayla's project took 2nd place at the science fair!!! WOOOOOO HOOOOO you KNOW I was all pumped up about it!!!! She was too but a momma's heart sure gets full over a child's accomplishments.
Don't you know those rascals REALLY sprouted while at school and no one was there to appreciate their efforts.... poor things.... so I'm not sure if they loved our love or if they loved not having our love because they are 20 times bigger now than they were at home.... maybe THAT is the science project HA
Here are our project boards to date..... (and I still stand by the recommendation to NOT microwave soap unless you like the taste of it on your food for months following the experiment) (Michael still complains about it)
Art bot.... she had a love hate relationship with them.
and our beloved sprouts (award winning sprouts that is).....
She already has her project picked out for next year! (oh yea baby....I love having a planner....)



















No comments:
Post a Comment