Background

Monday, October 1, 2012

The big red bag.

It all started with a catalog that came in the mail.

The day FINALLY came!!

Our local American Girl store opened and we took the time to go see what it was all about.  I was really bummed that we couldn't dine there (they were booked and had no reservations left) but as it turns out, it was for the best that we couldn't, we were overwhelmed.

Mikayla has been waiting and waiting and waiting for this store to open.  She's spent MONTHS saving her money and doing extra chores for pay (I don't pay for all chores).  She was even hitting my dad up to do chores to make extra money from him too.  She saved her tooth fairy money, everything!!! 

We turned in her coins for paper money and she went to the store armed with her hard earned $79 and change.  (I told her I'd buy the doll, she needs to buy the "stuff").

Now, these dolls...are not just "dolls"... they have a whole story line that captures Mikayla's imagination. 



Below is McKenna.  She is the girl of the year 2012.  There is a movie, books, dolls, outfits, and rooms all associated with her.


In the pic below, you can see McKenna's hair on the left...with the extra pony bands.... and look at Mikayla's hair...with the extra pony bands... THIS is how into her she is.... it's really awesome to watch her identify and imagine.  She wanted to "match" her before we even got her.


Tent set.... drool....


suitcase carrier....swoon.....


guitar...are you kidding me, it's time to pass out!!!!


The big red bag...... yes, it's just a bag....but inside that bag.... it's a little girl's dream come true!!!


Seriously, I had tears watching something that SHE earned and wanted so badly come true for her.  Below is her first peek at McKenna.


Mikayla was overwhelmed!


The store is amazing - she shut down in the historical doll section because all she really wanted was to take McKenna out of the box so we'll have to go back and browse some more.

True love!


Under the sheet, she had her arm wrapped tightly around her new best friend. 


We had a GREAT time just browsing, I did a LOT of talking before hand telling her we're going to see a lot of stuff and we can look but we need to stay focused with what she'd already picked out because she'd be really disappointed if she didn't come home with McKenna and that's exactly what we did! 

She's already saving up for her next trip there.  I want to make us reservations next time and we can have a tea party (all dolls are invited too) and maybe a trip to the doll hair salon and McKenna can get her hair done and Mikayla can pick out some new accessories or get her ears pierced (McKenna) and on and on and on..... (this place is not just for kids, moms have a great time reliving it too)....

All weekend long, she just kept saying, "I can't believe I have McKenna, can you believe it?" 

It's not often we can see a dream come true but when it does..... WOW!!!!

1 comment:

The Eckers said...

I LOVE it!!!! I have been going back and forth on a doll for Grace (my mil is totally into american girl). I think I may make her wait and do this and take her to the store in Chicago. Keep an eye out for the clearance stuff.. you can get awesome deals. And places like totsy and zulilly have girl and doll dresses that match!!!