Background

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Back in the day.....

15 years ago today my best friend in the whole world - forever changed the course of our lives.

We always said we wouldn't get engaged over a holiday so that we wouldn't take away from the holiday so never ever in a million years did I expect what was to happen.

We were exchanging Valentine's gifts, I was SO proud to have gotten him a wallet, he needed one so badly and now his stuff wouldn't fall out every time he opened it, I think I may have gotten him a pair of shoes too, totally practical but so needed, I was so happy to be taking care of him like that.

He gave me some diamond earrings and a jewelery box.

I was saying OH gosh this is so fun I wish we had more gifts to exchange. 

I came back into the room and OH MY GOSH there was another gift.

Now, I KNEW it was the heart necklace I'd been wanting and heavily hinted at.... you know the kind of hints where you rip out magazine pictures and put them in random places where they will be noticed, dog eared magazines, commercials that stop the world and you say "GOSH I really need/want that".  Every kiss begins with Kay....and this was a Kay box.....  So I knew my careful ground work paid off!!  I knew that was my necklace....

With shaky hands and tears in my eyes, I carefully unwrapped the package.

I started to crack open that jewelery box smiling before I even opened it, because I knew.....

I looked up at him, he was watching me so carefully.

and inside that jewelery box was my mom's mom's wedding set.

WAIT.....WHAT!!!!  That is not my necklace....

As reality set in, my face lost all color..... my eyes bugged out of my head..... my mouth opened wide and the biggest gasp and inhale of breath you've every heard came out of my mouth.

His face lost all color.... his eyes bugged out of his head.....his mouth opened wide and the biggest gasp and inhale of breath you've ever heard came out of his mouth.

We were identical in our reactions at that exact moment in time.

He got down on one knee.

His exact words were..... "will you baby, will you marry me"

I am sure I screamed at the top of my lungs YES YES YES!!!!!!

Unknown to me, he had previously talked to my parents and received their blessing, they offered him my grandmothers wedding set if he wanted to have it for us (I am so happy he accepted).

So 15 years ago today, our story really began.....

and fast forward to today, I'd do it all over again!

No comments: