Wow, third grade….. it has come and gone already! We worked hard this year.
I feel like we have been so busy and just sidewacked by this
year. I wasn’t prepared for it. I know we were busy with school in the past
but this year was exceptional. We
learned all of our new school systems.
Switching from paper to electronic schooling/homework really was a huge
transition. HUGE!
We had so many fun projects to work on. Some of Mikayla’s (and mine, I’m not going to
lie) favorites were:
- Learning the new laptop and programs
- Spanish family tree
- Field trips
- Mass with Cardinal DeNardo
- Choir
- Guatemalan study and report complete with authentic Guatemalan coconut cookies that we made
- Bulletin boards
- Science fair
- Penguin project (she said this one was by far her favorite)
- Wax museum
- Making a city out of paper with shells as the people (the whole class got involved). There is a city the size of ½ pizza box in the back seat of my car right now.
- The list goes on and on!
What an amazing 3rd grade we/she has had. She can
type pretty well, she can do power point presentations and slides, she can create and edit videos, she knows how to find information (safely) on the internet, she loves
speaking in front of the class and presenting something, her teacher has
allowed them the freedom to explore and take projects where she never thought or
imagined they could and would go. These
children were learning and had NO idea they were learning – isn’t that
something!!! Of course they had their regular
studies too some were more fun for her than others but that’s perfectly
normal. She has grown intellectually by
leaps and bounds. I’m simply amazed at
the growth this year. Michael says she
can do more on the computer now than he can!
Physically – where has my baby gone she is gone from me and has left in her place
the most amazing young lady. She is smart, she is funny, very witty. She is a GREAT companion, her compassion
knows no ends. She is incredibly loving
and kind and even when it’s hard – she does the right thing (for example,
giving up her recess time with her friends to help a boy in her class that
needed help). She’ll tell you, “I’m
trying to help him so he can get a career someday.” Of course there’s a bit of drama but I soak it
all in….
She still loves “teaching” and we have her classroom (play
room) in full order upstairs. She’s really good!
So on to summer now.
I am looking forward to the easier routine, no commute……well 5 minutes
each way. Swim time, time with friends,
keeping in touch with her friends at school, making new friends in the neighborhood. Just having time to rest and gear up for next
year. I feel like she’s going into high
school because I’m afraid I’ll blink and it will be true.
I do have to say though that as her teacher was calling out "her" kids names...she got very emotional. She is moving into the VP role next year and is very sad about not teaching her kids. So by the time she got to Mikayla's name.... she was openly crying.... she set off all the moms in there to crying with her! It was very emotional but does show the love she has for her kiddos.
Oh a side note on this very lengthy post.... the school is already set up for 307 students for next year (currently we have 175ish) and it's just the beginning of summer...they're expecting another full house....can you imagine- it's going to be double what we are now!!!!
WOW.
No comments:
Post a Comment