Background

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Poetry Contest

Every April Mikayla's school has a poetry contest.  So we carefully selected her poem (from a free kindle book I might add) (love our kindles...) and away she went.  She memorized it and came up with her own motions to it too. 

All the kids go through at least one round.  She did the first round. 

She did a second round.

She did a third round.....  this round was a three way tie and it was so close they had to try to break it three times!

What the kids are competing for is to be tortured by get to say their poem in front of the whole school and compete for a prize.  There is the "competitor" and the "alternate".  The alternate doesn't get a prize but does get to say it in front of the school.

So, her three way tie....

She made the alternate position.  I mean WOW out of nearly 80 first graders and she was in the top (of course...dusting off collar here... ) (totally kidding) (sort of) (of course I am) (sort of) (ok, moving on).  We are so proud of her!!

So today was the day.  The BIG day. Here she is getting ready to go.


Michael and I both went to watch her poem. (please note we drove for at least an hour (Michael picked me up at work, we went to her school, then he brought me back to work, then he went back to work too) to watch her for 3 minutes...but you do what you have to do...and it was so worth it).  She was SOOOOO excited when she saw us there.  I mean SOOO happy. 

I am so happy we went.  She rocked it!!!!!





I was really impressed with her confidence and composure.


PHEW!!!!!  hi mom, please stop waving at me..... (I'm sure that's what she was thinking)


Phew.....

I'm really not sure I would have done as well as she did in front of 600+ people....her voice didn't even quiver!!  She is AWESOME!!!

I am such a proud mom today!!!  (Well every day but especially today!!)

No comments: